Saturday, December 9, 2017

"We don't say that in school!"

Image result for embarrassed clipartThis example is taken from my mother about me when I was around three. We were grocery shopping in an all white neighborhood that I grew up in. There was an African American man who worked at this particular grocery store who my mother said I noticed. I then said, out loud, "Why is that man wearing a mask?" My mother said she was mortified and told me to hush and hurried past. No words of explanation were given or words spoken when we got home. I was raised during a time where we did not "see" color so it was not talked about because it was considered rude. 
     The message that was planted at this young age was it was embarrassing to be different than myself and it was not to be talked about. I was to not discuss a major feature of a person of color. We can speak of the color of a person's hair or eyes yet not their skin.
     An anti-biased response (whether an educator or my mother) would be to speak of my mistake right away. It could have been explained that the man was not wearing a mask and this was the color of his skin. His mommy and daddy had brown skin just like my mommy and daddy have white skin. There were no real anti-biased books back in those early days but books about animals and their babies would also work. A mommy horse would have a baby horse, a mommy cat a kitten and so-on.

Image result for horse and colt clip art     
We could have also made a trip to the library to look at pictures of African Americans in a positive environment, although at the time those would have been difficult to find as well. Any action would have been better than none at all.

5 comments:

  1. Jennifer,

    I am glad that you grow up in an error where color was not a factor but how do you feel that affected you during your teenage years through adulthood? Did you encounter racial experiences that you did not know you were facing? How do you reflect on those incidents as an adult?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,
    I find that even now many people still don't want to talk with their child about different skin colors. I feel as though if a child isn't exposed to the differences of people they are going to have many questions which is ok. Parents and educators should explain so the child doesn't think that their questions are wrong and they feel validated.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer,
    I have deal with prejudice, and it is hurtful. I marry a Caucasian, and I am Hispanic, my children look completely white. Teachers at school always question me and my children if I am the mother. It hurts so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jennifer,
    I can relate so much with your story. It seems like everything children say usually takes place in a grocery store. Children are often time unfiltered however, notifying or correcting their action at a young age is important to cease the behavior and prevent further embarrassment for the parent. We are all part of the brain development in the a child's life. Showing bias behavior words in the classroom can be continued behavior /words for the child. Awesome posting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jennifer,

    I remember this happened to me once in practicum when a child asked me why my skin color was black. I just wished the teachers in the school would have educated or had more multicultural pictures in the classroom. I use this example every time when i try to educate my children and their families the importance of educating our children on people differences.

    ReplyDelete